Stay safe at school!
- If they haven’t already, ask your teacher to explain all school emergency procedures to you.
- Keep a list of emergency numbers in your schoolbag.
- Always keep a lookout for trip hazards, like rocks or tree stumps.
- Always watch out for moving swings or equipment on the playground.
- Make sure you know all the pedestrian safety rules if you are walking to school.
- If you take the bus to school, always make sure you cross the road at the back of the bus, never in front.
Stay safe online!
- Don’t post personal information like your phone number or physical address online.
- Think carefully before posting pictures or videos of yourself.
- Never give out your passwords and keep your privacy settings as high as possible.
- Don’t befriend people you don’t know on social networks.
- Don’t meet up in person with people you’ve only met online.
- Think carefully about what you want to say before you post it on social networks.
- Don’t download or install software without checking with your parents first.
Stay safe on the street!
- Never use your phone while you’re walking.
- If you urgently need to text, move out of the other pedestrians’ way and stop on the sidewalk.
- Never cross the street while using an electronic device.
- Be aware of your surroundings and don’t walk with headphones on.
- Always walk facing oncoming traffic.
- Look left, right, then left again before crossing the street.
- If possible, use a pedestrian crossing, or bridge, to get to the other side of the road.
- If you’re cycling, wear a helmet and bright clothes and obey the rules of the road.
Stay safe in the car
- Always wear a seatbelt.
- Don’t try to share your seatbelt with your brother or sister.
- If you’re younger than twelve, always ride in the backseat.
- Keep calm and don’t distract the driver by jumping around or making a noise.
Stay safe on holiday!
- Always tell your parents where you are going.
- If you are going out with friends, keep a cellphone with emergency numbers on you.
- Wear sunscreen if its summer and dress warm if its winter.
- Keep your cellphone and other valuables hidden.
- Always go to a well-lit crowded spot if you think you are being followed.
- Be very careful of strangers who offer you gifts.