- If they haven’t already, ask your teacher to explain all school emergency procedures to you.
- Keep a list of emergency numbers in your schoolbag.
- Always keep a lookout for trip hazards, like rocks or tree stumps.
- Always watch out for moving swings or equipment on the playground.
- Make sure you know all the pedestrian safety rules if you are walking to school.
- If you take the bus to school, always make sure you cross the road at the back of the bus, never in front.
How to stay safe
Tips on how to stay safe at home, on the playground and even in the car.
Stay safe at school!
Stay safe online!
- Don’t post personal information like your phone number or physical address online.
- Think carefully before posting pictures or videos of yourself.
- Never give out your passwords and keep your privacy settings as high as possible.
- Don’t befriend people you don’t know on social networks.
- Don’t meet up in person with people you’ve only met online.
- Think carefully about what you want to say before you post it on social networks.
- Don’t download or install software without checking with your parents first.
Stay safe on the street!
- Never use your phone while you’re walking.
- If you urgently need to text, move out of the other pedestrians’ way and stop on the sidewalk.
- Never cross the street while using an electronic device.
- Be aware of your surroundings and don’t walk with headphones on.
- Always walk facing oncoming traffic.
- Look left, right, then left again before crossing the street.
- If possible, use a pedestrian crossing, or bridge, to get to the other side of the road.
- If you’re cycling, wear a helmet and bright clothes and obey the rules of the road.
Stay safe in the car
- Always wear a seatbelt.
- Don’t try to share your seatbelt with your brother or sister.
- If you’re younger than twelve, always ride in the backseat.
- Keep calm and don’t distract the driver by jumping around or making a noise.
Stay safe on holiday!
- Always tell your parents where you are going.
- If you are going out with friends, keep a cellphone with emergency numbers on you.
- Wear sunscreen if its summer and dress warm if its winter.
- Keep your cellphone and other valuables hidden.
- Always go to a well-lit crowded spot if you think you are being followed.
- Be very careful of strangers who offer you gifts.