Shell Rimula : Sustainability & Carbon Neutral
We understand the many challenges today’s fleets face on the road to a lower carbon future. Whether you’re just starting to consider alternative fuels or already have electric vehicles, your fleet will produce emissions that are just unavoidable. And that’s where our carbon neutral Shell Rimula portfolio can help.
Avoid, Reduce, and Offset Emissions with Shell
It’s a tough job for fleets to constantly looking for ways to reduce their net carbon footprint while continuing to grow their business. As a leading provider of heavy-duty diesel engine oils, we play an essential role in helping fleet customers achieve that goal. Our premium Shell Rimula portfolio already delivered improved engine performance and fuel efficiency; now, by being carbon neutral from raw material extraction to end-of-life, they also will help customers advance toward fleet’s carbon-reduction goals.
Shell Lubricant Solutions working hard on sustainability goals
Since 2016, we have reduced the carbon intensity of our lubricants manufacturing by more than 30%, and over 50% of the electricity used in its lubricant blending plants now comes from renewable sources5. We are also reducing packaging waste from lubricant products at scale by increasing the use of recycled materials and exploring more sustainable packaging across its supply chains.
We recognise that measures to avoid and reduce emissions will be essential to tackle emissions over the long term. Until scalable solutions are deployed, carbon-offsetting programmes provide an immediate solution to reduce CO2e emissions across Shell’s portfolio and value chain.
How does Carbon neutral Shell Rimula work?
Shell Rimula carbon neutral products are available in North America, Europe, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, and Korea. Shell’s global portfolio of nature-based carbon credits will compensate CO2e emissions from the lifecycle of these products, including the raw materials, packaging, production, distribution, customer use and product end of life. Shell supports projects which focus on protecting and restoring natural ecosystems: they naturally absorb CO2 from the atmosphere every year while also improving biodiversity, protecting endangered species and supporting local communities.
It's easy; just buy any product suitable for your fleet from Carbon Neutral Shell Rimula R6 portfolio and we take care of the rest, offsetting your engine oil’s unavoidable carbon emissions through the purchase of carbon credits from a portfolio of carefully chosen nature-based projects – such as forest developments or grassland preservation projects – that capture and store carbon from the atmosphere.
Benefits to your Business
- There are several advantages to choosing Carbon Neutral Shell Rimula products;
- Your company will demonstrate corporate leadership and strengthen its position
- You can begin, or continue, sustainable business practices
- You can meet the increasing demands of internal and external stakeholders
- Your business can have a positive impact on communities around the world by offsetting through verified projects
Turn the challenge of change into opportunity with a partner who can help you accelerate your growth with tools, programs and partnerships to support your fleet’s journey and goals.
Learn how we can help you make more informed decisions, so you can maximize the value of your fleet — and the people who keep it running.
See how Shell’s advanced products and services can help reduce vehicle repairs, lower emissions, and make your organization more cost-effective.
1. “Carbon neutral” indicates that Shell has engaged in a transaction where an amount of CO2 equivalent to the CO2e amount associated with the raw material extraction, transport, production, distribution, usage, and end-of-life of the Shell Rimula lubricant has been avoided through the protection of natural ecosystems or removed as emissions from the atmosphere through a nature-based process.
2. CO2e (CO2 equivalent) refers to CO2, CH4, N2O.
3. The analogy that mitigating 700,000 tonnes of CO2 is equivalent to taking 340,000 cars off the road for one year is for illustrative purposes only to help to demonstrate the impact of selecting Carbon Neutral lubricants to our customers. In this particular example, we calculated CO2e intensity of a medium size diesel car and its annual distance driven in the EU (11,879 km). The actual emissions from driving are sensitive to parameters such as the type of the car, its age, driving style, load of the car, city vs. highway driving and will therefore vary for each individual application. As such, these numbers should not be taken as representative of any specific case or activity. Driving analogies are based on direct CO2, CH4 and N2O emissions from the vehicles and do not include emissions from fuel production and distribution (life cycle emissions). Fuel emissions factors are from UK DEFRA (2019), driving distances are from Google Maps (2020), and US and EU driver distances are from US DOT (2018) and EU ODYSSEE-MURE (2017).
- The portfolio of carbon neutral lubricants will include:
- Shell Rimula K Series and Shell Rimula Fleet CK-4 products in China,
- Shell Rimula R6 and Ultra products in Europe, Egypt, India, Indonesia and Korea
- Shell is the biggest supplier of lubricants in the world1, selling approximately 5 billion litres of finished lubricants annually to consumer automotive, commercial automotive, aviation, marine, mining, power generation and industrial segments.
- Shell offers our customers specialised lubricants for hybrid vehicles as well as E-Fluids that help electric vehicles perform better and more efficiently.
- Read more about how Shell Lubricants is delivering improved performance with lower emissions, fewer natural resources and less waste.
- Nature-based solutions are projects that protect, transform or restore land, enabling nature to absorb more CO2 emissions from the atmosphere.
- The protection, or redevelopment, of natural ecosystems – such as forests, grasslands, peatlands and wetlands – leads to lower concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Such activities also can result in the creation, marketing, trading and sale of carbon credits. They also help deliver many other benefits, including improvements in biodiversity, water quality, flood protection and livelihoods.
- Shell is one of the most established investors of carbon credits in the world. The company’s growing portfolio of verified projects helps our customers meet the environmental and sustainability commitments that they have made to their employees, customers and shareholders.
- For further information on Shell’s investments in natural ecosystems visit: www.shell.com/naturebasedsolutions